Almost daily we hear about the impact of genomics on healthcare and how gene-directed diagnosis and therapies are transforming our understanding of widely divergent fields of biology and medicine.
Here I share with you some of the stories from the last year that I found particularly interesting. These stores exemplify the extent to which genomics is going to change the lives of patients and healthcare professionals.
Topics for class presentation and discussion:
- How useful are genomic approaches to solving mystery genetic diseases?
- How can your genome directly help guide drug treatments for treating disease?
- Can genetic testing be used to predict sports performance and injuries?
- Can genetic testing and genome editing be useful for choosing healthier embryos and producing designer babies?
- How will increased understating of epigenetics impact health care?
- How does the microbiome affect health and can it be rationally altered to improve health?
- Can people be identified solely from their genome sequence and if so what are the implications?
- Will having my genome sequenced affect my family members?
- Who has the right to know your genetic test results?
subscribe via RSS